Thursday, July 22, 2010

Migration

I had a thought tonight that I need to think about some more- but I found interesting. Yesterday I had a conversation with a gentleman who said he's spiritual but not religious. It's not the first time I've heard this, but I never know how to respond to it. Then tonight I had a thought- migratory animals follow a certain path. It is a path to lead them to the proper place at the proper time. If they don't follow this path they become lost and risk serious peril. They could get lucky and survive, but more often than not they lose their life. Sometimes these stray animals are noticed and receive help to get to their proper destination before any real harm can befall them, but that is not always the case. The other interesting fact is that these migratory animals have to be shown the correct path to get to the correct destination. They can't rely purely on their instinct- they must be shown. This migration path happens within the first year of the animals life.
So what does migration have to do with religion and spirituality? We as individuals seek guidance and have all forms of spiritual insight/instinct. What does religion do? Religion is like the proper migratory path- with it you are able to get to the proper destination with less peril than trying to make it on your own. Do obstacles still arise- of course. However, with the guidance of religion you are able to reach your destination faster and with fewer complications. You also have the benefit of not being alone. You have a whole group with you (like the migratory animal) to encourage, buoy, protect, and help you along the way. It just makes sense that religion is around to encourage your individual spirituality versus merely controlling your spirituality.
I think then that should I be confronted with this statement again- I may have enough nerve to share my comparison. I suppose it will just have to depend on the person I am conversing with.

No comments:

Post a Comment